We all know how important a good night’s sleep is. It not only helps us feel well-rested and rejuvenated, but also has numerous health benefits, such as improving mood, stress levels, and heart health. There’s even evidence that it can help you maintain or lose weight!
The first essential step toward a good night’s sleep is a good mattress, but the second is a good foundation. If you’ve been wondering, “Do I need a box spring?” you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll be discussing the two most popular options for bed frames and diving into the pros and cons of each.
3 Tips to Improve Your Sleep Health
Before we dive into the comparison between box springs and platforms, let’s talk about some general tips for maintaining good sleep health. These tips are applicable regardless of the type of bed frame you choose:
- Have a Comfortable Mattress: A good mattress should provide proper support for your body while also being comfortable enough for you to fall asleep easily. This is where Tochta’s mattresses come in—our customizable options ensure that you get the perfect level of comfort and support for your individual needs.
- Maintain a Regular Sleep Schedule: Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day helps regulate your body’s internal clock, making it easier for you to fall asleep and wake up feeling refreshed consistently.
- Create a Relaxing Bedtime Routine: This can significantly improve the quality of your sleep and can involve activities such as reading, listening to calming music, or practicing meditation or deep breathing exercises.
What’s the Difference Between a Box Spring, Foundation, and a Platform base?
Now let’s get back to the question at hand—box springs vs. platforms. Which one do you need? Both options serve as a foundation for your mattress, but there’s also a third option to consider: foundations.
Box springs, also known as foundations, are wooden frames with springs inside that provide support for your mattress and are used on top of a basic bed frame. Platforms, on the other hand, consist of a solid, flat structure built into a bed frame that supports your mattress directly. They can be made from wood, metal, or even upholstered materials.
Here’s a breakdown to guide you to the best decision:
The following are impressive benefits and qualities of these springy foundations:
- Absorbs shock and distributes weight evenly
- Adds some extra height and a cooling effect
- Extends the life of your mattress
- Has a little extra bounce, creating added comfort for side sleepers
- Optimal for thinner, traditional mattresses (no pillow top)
On the other hand, foundations offer their own set of advantages:
- Provides a firmer level of support which compliments the firm features of the mattress
- Can be easily catered to multiple height levels (1.5”, 4”, and 9” are the most common heights available).
- Boasts a solid surface to help keep the thicker, modern mattresses from feeling too soft
- Often used with pillowtop, memory foam, or latex mattresses
Features of platform bases consist of the following:
- Fits your bedroom décor and can be the perfect match with any furniture
- Can be made of wood, metal, or a combination of both
- Provides the same firm level of support as a foundation
- Proper support for softer mattresses (same as a foundation)
- Usually has built-in legs and does not require a separate metal bed frame to support it
So which one is better for your sleep health? Do you need a box spring, or will a platform suit you best? It ultimately comes down to personal preference and the type of mattress you want.
So the Winner is…
As often happens in life, there is no one right answer for everyone. Both box springs and platforms have their advantages and it’s important to consider your personal needs when choosing a bed frame.
If you have a thinner, older mattress, you might enjoy the added give of a box spring. But if you want some extra support for your back or just prefer a more modern look, a platform bed frame might be perfect for you.
Tochta: Find the Perfect Mattress to Complement Your New Bed Frame
Regardless of the type of frame you choose, remember that having a comfortable mattress is key for maintaining good sleep health. And with Tochta’s customizable mattresses, you can ensure that your sleep surface is tailored to your individual needs.
So the next time you’re asking if you need a box spring, consider both options and make the best choice for your sleep health. Once that step is complete, shop our comfortable and customizable selection of mattresses to start getting better sleep today!