To fully enjoy all the RV adventures you have planned, good sleep is essential. And since you’re trying to maximize every inch of space in an RV, your sleeping situation is going to look a little different. You’re going to have to get creative, but that’s the fun part! One of the best space-saving products you can use in your RV is a custom hinged mattress. If you’ll have kids or other travelers in your RV, we’d say a custom hinged mattress is essential. It allows you to double your available sleep space in a snap, without having to sacrifice comfort.
There are several different types of hinged mattresses on the market today, so it’s important to do your research before making a purchase. Read on to discover everything you need to know about buying a custom hinged mattress.
How Do Custom Hinged Mattresses Work?
The basic design of a hinged mattress involves two separate sleeping surfaces that are joined together at one end, typically using hinges or Velcro. Each individual surface can be rotated up and out of the way to create more space.
If you picture a fold-out bed and how the mattress folds in on itself when you put it away, that’s a great way of picturing a hinged mattress. Some hinged mattresses also can be propped up at a slight angle to provide more comfort and support for your back, although this feature will depend on the specific model you choose.
Hinged mattresses are often made for couch beds, which means they’re not always the best quality. Most companies make two sections of a mattress and sew them together with a small piece of cloth, which creates a major gap between the pieces. If you’ve ever tried to push two mattresses together during a sleepover or when you’re camping, you’ll know how uncomfortable it is to get stuck in “the gap.”
But in all, hinged mattresses get a 10 out of 10 when it comes to space-saving solutions, and some companies are going the extra mile to make the design much more comfortable.
Why Would I Need a Custom Hinged Mattress?
Whether you’re a minimalistic RVer or just looking to simplify your RV and make it more comfortable, a hinged mattress is the perfect solution. Not only do they provide extra room for added travelers, but they also allow you to sleep in multiple positions without having to switch up your entire bedding setup.
And you may need a hinged mattress in the following situations:
- slideout or folding beds
- dual-level platform beds (when the foot of the mattress needs to be thicker than the head because of a storage design)
- murphy beds
- sprinter vans (so you can fold your bed out of the way when you don’t need it)
- extra storage space
If you’re looking for a comfortable and space-saving solution for your RV adventures, definitely consider getting a custom hinged mattress. Whether you have kids or extra guests to accommodate, it’s the perfect choice to keep everyone happy and comfortable during your travels.
How to Choose the Best Hinged Mattress
Once you’ve decided that a hinged mattress is the right choice for you, it’s time to start shopping! Here are some key factors to keep in mind when buying one:
- Size and dimensions. Like any other mattress purchase, be sure to choose a size that will fit your needs and space constraints. Measure your RV carefully to ensure that you’re getting a mattress that can fit in the available space.
- Comfort level and support. No one wants to deal with back pain while they’re on vacation, so be sure to choose a hinged mattress that offers the right amount of support for your sleep style. In general, it’s best to find a mattress that uses premium quality, high-density foams which can provide softness AND firmness – at the same time.
- Materials and construction. Remember that the quality of the materials used in your hinged mattress will have a big impact on its durability and comfort level over time. Make sure that it is made of high-quality, durable materials and has sturdy hinges or other attachment mechanisms. Your best bet is to find a hinged mattress that utilizes end-to-end comfort and support in its hinge construction, instead of a hinged mattress with a piece of cloth connecting the 2 sections.
- Price. Hinged mattresses can vary widely in price depending on the brand, material quality, and size you choose. Do some research to find a mattress that fits your budget while still providing the comfort, support, and durability you need for your RV adventures.
Why Use Tochta Over Your Current RV Mattress?
You may just spend a small amount of time each day using your mattress, but the quality of your sleep affects every hour of the day! At Tochta, we believe that you deserve better sleep. That’s why we’ve designed our hinged mattresses with optimal support and comfort in mind.
Our mattresses are made from high-quality materials, ensuring that they’ll last for years without sagging or breaking down. And we use a “layered construction,” which means that our top padding extends the full length of the mattress. This top layer, along with the materials in the mattress cover, together act as the hinge, which greatly minimizes and almost eliminates the effect of the gap between the pieces. The end result is a mattress that can fold over where the hinge is but will feel like a regular mattress when in the lying down position.
We know that every sleep situation is unique, which is why we offer a fully custom hinged mattress option. Just put your dimensions in and get a quote in seconds. If you’re looking for a better night’s sleep on your RV trips, trust Tochta to get the job done. Order your hinged mattress today and say goodbye to “the gap” once and for all!